coffeebeanbookshelf

Jennifer Salvato Doktorski
The Cuckoo's Calling
Robert Galbraith

Ghosts of Manhattan

Ghosts of Manhattan - Douglas Brunt This is more like a 3.5 rather than a 4 star book for me. It was a very interesting look into the greed and corruption of the financial world before it's recent collapse. It started off a little bit slow, but picked up speed. It's not an action-packed book and yet I had a hard time putting it down.

Most reviews I see, people didn't like Nick...for some reason he grew on me. At first he was unlikable, but maybe I identify with him a little in his struggle to do what's right even when his instinct is to do something wrong. Probably having just come back from NYC and visiting Wall Street (just walking around, being a tourist) felt like it gave me some background for this book as well. I knew what the author was talking about when he said "Upper East Side" or "downtown" - things that would be lost on me had I not just been there.

Much of what Nick's job was over my head, although Brunt tried to explain it. As for the rest of his "job", I sincerely hope that this was greatly fictionalized for entertainment and that the people who work in Wall Street don't all behave the way Brunt was describing. I know there's a lot of turmoil (especially in NY) about these "bankers" and their corruption, so I'm sure that there's some truth behind it. Which is scary.