coffeebeanbookshelf

How My Summer Went Up in Flames
Jennifer Salvato Doktorski
The Cuckoo's Calling
Robert Galbraith
Vain - Fisher Amelie When I started out reading this, I wasn't quite sure what I was in for. The synopsis sounds interesting but doesn't really tell what the story will be *about*.

Anyway. So I started off really hating Sophie. She was self-involved and well, vain. Somebody I already hated, and the blurb promised she would become someone people hated. I almost gave up, I disliked her that much. But she began to change, more likeable characters started popping up, and the scene was changed to one that was much more interesting (and unique).

There was a little bit of eye-rolling on my part at the beginning, too - it just didn't feel authentic or natural, and I wasn't really connecting with Sophie or the story. It didn't start to pick up for me until the last third of the book, actually. And honestly, there were unrealistic bits in the last bit, too, but because I was enjoying it a lot more, I was a little more forgiving.

It wasn't really what I was expecting, but it was a sweet story about how people can change, no matter what context. As the book was wrapping up I was wanting it to get longer, because I was *finally* liking Sophie, and loved where the story was going. But, it was over, and the last bit of the book redeemed the story as a whole for me, and has given me a new author to watch for!