coffeebeanbookshelf

How My Summer Went Up in Flames
Jennifer Salvato Doktorski
The Cuckoo's Calling
Robert Galbraith
Exhale - Jennifer Snyder I was really excited to read this book when I got the invitation, because I loved the cover, and because I’ve got a “thing” for contemporary romance right now, I think. And I thought it sounded really good. But I always go into a new book with expectations that it will be solid, as I did with this one. So it was nice to start reading and have my expectations exceeded!

Almost from the first sentences, I loved the main characters – Katie and the twins, Kyle and Derek. Their relationship was sweet, as friends from an early age, but Kyle liked Katie, and Katie liked Derek. I didn’t really like Katie’s best girl friend, she was a little annoying, and Katie’s character didn’t really seem to like her that much, either.

This book was short, but it grabbed my heart and took it for quite a ride. My heart broke into pieces and I completely understood what Katie was going through the entire time on an emotional level. There were parts that I thought were a bit odd, but for the most part, I was enthralled with the story and the characters and wanted the book to keep on going.

Basically, if you like young adult contemporary romance stories, you need to pick this one up. It’s short and a really quick but great read. It’s got a love triangle, but not in the same way that many authors portray it. I’m not sure how to explain it without giving too much away, so I’ll just tell you to give it a chance even if you hate love triangles. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.