coffeebeanbookshelf

How My Summer Went Up in Flames
Jennifer Salvato Doktorski
The Cuckoo's Calling
Robert Galbraith
How Beauty Met the Beast - Jax Garren WOW, I’m not even sure where to start. This book is short (only 152 pages) but it completely sucked me in from nearly the first page. First I need to say how much I love the cover. This red-headed girl in the black dress and little tophat made me want to read the book without even reading the synopsis. Don’t worry, I did read the blurb before reading the book. I went in expecting steampunk or a retelling of Beauty & the Beast. It’s not either – but it managed to surprise me in a good way.

In the first chapter we’re introduced to Hauk and Jolie, and what a steamy first chapter it is. I won’t spoil it for you, but I recommend reading this book for that alone. Hauk and his friend are running from some bad guys, then it switches to Jolie’s first night as a burlesque dancer…and then the two of them meet for the first time, with a sheet between them. Mmmhmm. It was steamy.

OK. Ahem. I’m sorry, I’ll get back to my review.

Both Hauk and Jolie were really well written characters. Some parts were a little bit hard to believe, but it was so well-written that my brain glossed over them and kept going. Because the book is so short, I feel like I can’t say much about either character without giving away major parts of the plot. I thoroughly enjoyed the banter between Jolie and Whitney near the end of the book, and I loved that Hauk was regularly surprised by how people good-hearted people warmed to him despite his terrifying scars.

The world they lived in was a little bit confusing – again because the book was short, it felt like it wasn’t fully developed BUT not really in a bad way. I hope that the two clashing worlds are more fully explained in the next book. There’s the Underlight, which is where Hauk is from, but he does have ties to the Order of Ananke, while Jolie is just discovering both. It was well done – gods, goddesses, magic and some other weird stuff…and it made me want MORE. I didn’t want the book to end.

After reading this one, I’m definitely excited to read the next book in the series, [b:How Beauty Saved the Beast|16110879|How Beauty Saved the Beast|Jax Garren|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1355237248s/16110879.jpg|22515162].