coffeebeanbookshelf

How My Summer Went Up in Flames
Jennifer Salvato Doktorski
The Cuckoo's Calling
Robert Galbraith
My Invented Life - Lauren Bjorkman I’ve had this book on my TBR list for a long time (literally years), so I quickly grabbed the chance to get to read this one as part of a book tour. It was a nice light read, and pretty short so it was a nice change to the long books I’ve been reading lately. I instantly liked Roz (and Eva, even though Roz sort of painted her in a bad light at first) – she was cute and quirky. The way she spoke in Shakespearean was a little weird at first, but once I got used to it, I found it fun. I also enjoyed how her character would explain what happened, then veer off to something that definitely didn’t happen – she had a vivid imagination, which made her all the more likeable.

These two girls are BIG drama geeks. I liked that they weren’t the typical high school kids – while Eva *is* a cheerleader, that doesn’t get too much play. In fact, the plot involves just a small handful of characters – Roz, Eva, their parents (occasionally), a couple of teachers, and the rest of the kids in their theater group. I enjoyed that because I think adding in the rest of the school would have lost the vibe that the author had going for her. So, what happens when a teenage girl outs herself as a lesbian on a dare? The result is surprising, funny and an enjoyable read.