coffeebeanbookshelf

How My Summer Went Up in Flames
Jennifer Salvato Doktorski
The Cuckoo's Calling
Robert Galbraith
Back to You - Priscilla Glenn I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I don’t read contemporary adult romance very much (a genre I’m starting to get into since discovering YA romance and New Adult romance books), but I wasn’t really sure what I was getting myself into with this one. On the one hand, it had the “good girl and bad boy” thing going on, but in an adult setting, with a relationship that was started when they were young but abandoned and possibly rekindled.

What surprised me the most is that I actually really *liked* Michael. I saw past the whole bad-boy image immediately, and loved reading about him interacting with his young daughter. My heart broke when I read about his past – what happened to his father and brother. I wanted to hit his mother, she was a terrible woman. I couldn’t help but fall in love with Erin, Michael’s daughter – she was adorable and her character is a big part of the reason that I liked Michael so much. He was a good parent, a decent guy – one that realizes his mistakes and hopes to make them right.

There’s a very small love triangle in this book, but it’s only a small one. Part of me wanted to see Lauren’s other relationship flesh out a little bit but I knew that it wasn’t meant to be. Lauren herself is a likeable character, especially the younger version in the flashbacks of Lauren and Michael’s high school days.

Parts of the plot were predictable but it was really an enjoyable read. It’s one of those stories that has you hoping that they will both figure it out before it’s too late, and that makes you want the happy ending. If you’re in the mood for a light read with a little bit of heartbreak involved, you definitely should pick this one up!