coffeebeanbookshelf

How My Summer Went Up in Flames
Jennifer Salvato Doktorski
The Cuckoo's Calling
Robert Galbraith
Rebel Heart - Moira Young I love Saba! Which is funny, because I didn't really like her that much in the first book. But this time around, I found her to be stubborn, strong, and just the right amount of girly for me. And Emmi is a sweetheart. I liked the characters more in this book than I did in Blood Red Road, maybe because there was a little less action in this one so there was more focus on them. I'm curious about Lugh, though...what happened to him to make him act the way he does? I'm trying to remember if I'm supposed to know what his demons are from the last book, but can't recall. Hopefully it gets explained in the next book!

I found that it didn't go too much into the backstory, just enough - which was OK because I remember Blood Red Road pretty well. Whole parts of the book would come back to me as I was reading this one just from the mention of one word or phrase. As I mentioned before, there wasn't as much action in this one, but more story. The scenes that Young paints are rich and *really* make me wonder what exactly happened to the Wreckers.

I was surprised that Rebel Heart was a bit more "mature" than Blood Red Road. Many YA books skirt around the subject of sex, or mention it subtly, like it's implied that something happened or will happen. In Rebel Heart it's directly mentioned a couple times casually, not overly obvious or crude, but it was just surprising to me.

This one was a little bit disappointing after Blood Red Road, but it's still very entertaining, and worth the read. Of course, it ended on a bit of a cliff-hanger, and I'm looking forward to the final book in the trilogy to find out what will happen next to Saba, Luke and the rest.