coffeebeanbookshelf

How My Summer Went Up in Flames
Jennifer Salvato Doktorski
The Cuckoo's Calling
Robert Galbraith
Learning to Swim - Sara J. Henry For me, this book was just OK. I went into it hoping for a lot more than it actually delivered. I was expecting a book full of suspense, a thriller - I mean, a little boy is thrown off a ferry, the synopsis hints at a great story, but it completely missed the mark. There wasn't suspense, and what the synopsis hints at never comes about. I kept anxiously waiting for the big reveal only to be left disappointed. That's not to say that it wasn't a good book - it was well-written and the plot was OK, it just misrepresented itself which was a let-down. It was slow in the middle of the book, nothing eventful really happened, but there was a lot of character development done there.

The character of Troy was likeable but I found she made really weird decisions that makes the book as a whole hard to believe. She finds a boy and decides that she loves him so she doesn't turn him in to the police - then tries to solve the case on her own. She uses Google to find the boy's father (who has managed to keep a kidnapping out of the media for several months, by the way) and decides to drive up to Ottawa to see if he could kill his own son. Then moves in with the guy - but not in a romantic sense. She just drops everything and moves in to help with Paul. Because that would be the normal thing to do. I felt the ending was a bit far-fetched but it wrapped up the book nicely, and I suppose in this crazy world it could be plausible.

A small problem I had with the book was all the little asides about Canada and how Canadians live. I felt that it stopped the flow and detracted from the story. The cultural differences between Canada and the USA aren't that big, so to me it felt unnecessary to stop the story progression in several places to explain to the reader these slight differences. I didn't have a problem when it was worked into a scene (like Troy's brother trying poutine for the first time, so Troy had to explain it to him before he tried it), it was the little side comments during narration that annoyed me.

It sounds like I hated this book, lol - I didn't hate it. I thought it was OK. Enjoyable, even. It was just misrepresented. If you go into it knowing that it's not going to be a mystery or thriller, and more like contemporary fiction, I think it would be a better read.