coffeebeanbookshelf

How My Summer Went Up in Flames
Jennifer Salvato Doktorski
The Cuckoo's Calling
Robert Galbraith
Slammed - Colleen Hoover I was sucked in from the very first page. To be honest, I was quite excited to read this one, for whatever reason the blurb really spoke to me and I *knew* that I needed to read it. It was a very quick read, mostly because once I started, I didn't want to put it down.

It started off strong, with great character development (for what it's worth, I love the names in this book, especially Layken). I was immediately drawn to Layken and her family, I felt bad for her situation. I was drawn in with her ups and downs when it came to Will.

And then. The half-way point of the book happened. And I was a goner. My emotions were flying one way and then flipping the other within PAGES. It was an emotional roller coaster. But all in a good way...I felt every little thing that Layken felt (well, almost).

As an added bonus is the little bits of slam poetry that we're treated to as "written by" a few of the characters in the book: Will, Layken, and Eddie. I loved this unique way to give us an insight into the characters and how they felt and why they felt that way.

This book is a treat in itself and a must-read. I can't WAIT to read the next in the series ([b:Point of Retreat|13496084|Point of Retreat (Slammed, #2)|Colleen Hoover|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1330543249s/13496084.jpg|19038910]), and am already anxious for the third book to be written and released!