coffeebeanbookshelf

How My Summer Went Up in Flames
Jennifer Salvato Doktorski
The Cuckoo's Calling
Robert Galbraith
Cleopatra's Moon - Vicky Alvear Shecter This was recommended by a friend, I've read Cleopatra's Daughter (which I enjoyed immensely, I gave it 5 stars), and I had *some* basic knowledge about Cleopatra Selene.

I actually enjoyed this story, I thought it was well written. I loved little Ptolly, I could picture exactly what he looked like by the way he was described. The relationships between the characters was well-developed, though in places I figured out what was going on behind the scenes before Selene.

The only thing I didn't like was how she portrayed Jews. I don't know much about Judaism, but I understand that Jews weren't the same back then as they are now...ideology changes, times change...but they were written as modern-day Jews, which made no sense. But there were only two small scenes that helped the story progression, so it wasn't too bothersome.

But mostly I liked it, I felt a connection with young Cleopatra Selene, I felt invested in her passion for Egypt and getting back to her homeland. I like reading about this time period and learning (although I realize much of it is fictional) about different peoples and countries.