coffeebeanbookshelf

How My Summer Went Up in Flames
Jennifer Salvato Doktorski
The Cuckoo's Calling
Robert Galbraith
Osiris - E.J. Swift This was quite a long read, I was expecting it to be shorter. It *could* have been shorter. I'm not really sure what to say about this book.

Adelaide was an unlikeable character, as was her whole family. Her brother, Axel, is missing and presumed dead by most people. She's trying to solve the mystery of his disappearance. Her parents are more concerned with public appearance than anything else. One of the two brothers seemed like a decent person (the other was barely mentioned).

I was, however, somewhat rooting for Vikram - the underdog in the story. He's the kind of decent guy that you want to win against all odds. He lives in the West, the poor and rebellious side of Osiris. WHY the city was divided isn't really fully explained, though, only vaguely referenced. I felt bad for him, and sympathized with his endeavors, but here again the story was too vague. Time flew past between chapters at times and sometimes the progression felt forced and unnatural.

The story had a lot of different elements going - a city in the middle of the ocean, it's split into 2 parts, there are rebellions, a girl who is somewhat estranged from her family, her missing twin, a boy that wants to help his side of the city...it was just a mash-up of sub-plots and in the end, I didn't feel that anything was resolved. There was alcohol, drugs, sex (none of which I have a problem with in plots, mind you), but it seemed stuck in there just for some adult entertainment and not plot progression.

I know it's sci-fi/dystopian, but I've read a lot better dystopian novels. This one held so much promise until I started reading it. It's the first book in a series, but I'm pretty sure I won't be picking up the next book...and that doesn't happen very often.