coffeebeanbookshelf

How My Summer Went Up in Flames
Jennifer Salvato Doktorski
The Cuckoo's Calling
Robert Galbraith
Pale - Chris Wooding **Disclaimer** I received this book free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

As an adult reading this book, I was a little bit put off by the immaturity of the narrator compared to the maturity the subject required. He sounds about 12 years old (possibly younger), but has had a girlfriend for 2 years, they love eachother, and she is asked to make a very important decision for him when he's unable to make it.

However, that's not to say that it's not excellently written. It's just incongruous to me., I did enjoy it overall. It's got a moral to the story: about being different, and finding true friendship. It has a dystopian element to it, but only slightly. The publisher says it's written at about a 4th grade reading level...my kids are in 3rd and 5th grades, and I'm not sure they would really understand the idea of it. Then again, maybe they would. I may give it to my son to see what he thinks about it.