coffeebeanbookshelf

How My Summer Went Up in Flames
Jennifer Salvato Doktorski
The Cuckoo's Calling
Robert Galbraith
Riding Lessons - Sara Gruen This is Sara Gruen's first book, and to be totally honest, it's much better work than her latest (Ape House). Not quite up there with Water for Elephants, but pretty darn good for her first novel.

When I first started reading, I wasn't sure I'd like it since I know absolutely nothing about horses. But even though I hadn't a clue what she was talking about when it came to the horses, I did enjoy the book. At times, I couldn't stand the main character - she was too weak, whiny, unable to stand up for anything. She couldn't seem to do anything right, she was flighty and forgetful. But the writing made up for it, for me. The plot pulled itself along, and I found myself rooting for this character that I didn't particularly like.

I will definitely read the second book in this series. And I wish Gruen would write more books like this...