coffeebeanbookshelf

How My Summer Went Up in Flames
Jennifer Salvato Doktorski
The Cuckoo's Calling
Robert Galbraith
Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet: A Novel - Jamie Ford I was pleasantly surprised with this book...I didn't read the back before starting to read it, so didn't have any expectations. The story broke my heart, but in a good way.

It amazed me through the book at the full-out racism that faced anyone who wasn't white...I mean, I knew it existed, but have never read anything that so outright told about the Japanese internment (I'd heard about it briefly in school, but I'm gonna guess that it's something people don't like to talk about). How they can be fighting Germans for putting Jews in concentration camps, and doing the same thing to Japanese is so hypocritical...but of course it wasn't seen that way to them at the time.

But the love story in the midst of the war and internment is beautiful and heartbreaking...I won't say more because I might give it all away. This is a must-read book!