coffeebeanbookshelf

How My Summer Went Up in Flames
Jennifer Salvato Doktorski
The Cuckoo's Calling
Robert Galbraith
The Help - Kathryn Stockett Wow, I wasn't expecting this book to be so riveting...but I read well over half of it in one day, I just couldn't put it down.

It broke my heart to read a fictional account of what it was like to be "black" (sorry, that may be un-PC) in Mississippi in that time period, and the stereotypes and absolute fabrication and misinformation about how they were different than "whites".

I wanted to punch Hilly Holbrook right in the face near the beginning of the book, the woman was just so ignorant and self-centered, I couldn't stand her...but I guess that was the point. The rest of the girls were just ignorant and listened to her, but I loved Skeeter and Aibileen and Minny, for sure.

She did such a good job telling the story from 3 different people and making them all seem believable in the way that they told their story (right down to the grammar and words they would use). This is a MUST READ book!