coffeebeanbookshelf

How My Summer Went Up in Flames
Jennifer Salvato Doktorski
The Cuckoo's Calling
Robert Galbraith
Crank - Ellen Hopkins Alright, so I started out this book saying "I don't like poetry - let alone free verse" (seriously, couldn't stand it in English class in school, ugh...just not my thing). But I really, really liked the concept of this book, and so I wanted to at least give it a try. When I saw the SIZE of the book I was scared, until I realized that free verse has a lot less text than a regular book!

Having said that...I was amazed at how much I loved this book AND the style it was written. The free verse helped the story move along, without getting long or graphic.

I think that Ellen Hopkins did a really great job at capturing what a 16 year old girl would be doing/thinking, and also what it would be like to be in the grasp of "the monster". I've never done drugs, never tried them, so I have no idea. This story intrigued me (as to what it would feel like to be high), but makes me want to run far, far away from ever trying it. It also makes me scared for the day when my kids are old enough to know about drugs (they're 3 and 5 years old now).